Right now, many of us are focused on the most joyous and magical time of the year. We’re buying presents, grocery shopping for holiday parties, scheduling time off from work and looking forward to time with family and friends.
But for thousands of Dane County families, the holidays bring additional pressures to try and make financial ends meet. While the vast majority of people settle into a relaxing holiday, families struggling financially are making urgent decisions on what they can afford.
One out of every nine Dane County neighbors lives below the federal poverty line with many of them working multiple jobs. They are stretched thin this year with increasing prices and the compounding effects of inflation. More and more people need help.
When daycares and schools close for winter, kids lose a school-provided meal and families lose wages as parents need to take time off. As the cost of food, rent, clothing and basic household essentials continues to rise, our neighbors in need are experiencing the heavier end of this weighted reality.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul — Madison offers both basic life essentials and customized assistance such as food, clothing, prescription medicine, furniture, housing assistance and caring support to help families thrive.
Will you give our Dane County neighbors in need a helping hand this holiday season?
Without you, children may go hungry, adults won’t have needed medications, and families will live without furniture or warm clothing. There are several ways to help:
- Purchase extra food and baking supplies and drop them off at the St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry.
- Make a monetary gift to purchase children’s toys, books and games which will be distributed to families who cannot afford gifts.
- Volunteer with your family, your coworkers or your friends.
- Make a New Year’s Resolution to advocate or pray for people facing financial hardships.
- Clean out your closet and donate goods to St. Vinny’s Thrift Stores.
- Purchase gift cards to Walmart, Woodman’s or other big box stores to donate to a family in need.
- Learn about the St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Pharmacy so you can refer any uninsured adult who needs help getting their prescriptions.
- Donate online now to support programs offering help and hope.
Whether a mother needs help putting healthy food on the table, an elderly couple requires new prescriptions they can’t afford, a young man needs a safe place to live while he’s between jobs, or a family needs winter clothing for their young children, our neighbors in need turn to St. Vincent de Paul — Madison for help all year long.
This holiday season, join a compassionate community of people reaching out to our neighbors in need to offer goods, assistance and hope. Donate online now to support programs offering help and hope.